"Reawakening" is the thirteenth televised episode of the series Gargoyles, and the thirteenth and final episode of Season 1. It originally aired on February 3, 1995.
- Written by Brynne Chandler Reaves.
- Animation by Tama Productions
- Backgrounds by Jade Animation Productions
- Additional Production Facilities: Jade Animation Productions
Demona and Xanatos work together to create and awaken Coldstone using a blending of science and sorcery. She then tells him about the Wyvern Massacre, and that Goliath betrayed their clan to the vikings. Meanwhile, Goliath feels he is losing sight of his purpose as a gargoyle. He follows Elisa on her patrol and ends up in Times Square where a rampaging Coldstone is causing destruction. Goliath tackles him, and Demona, Xanatos (in battle armor), and the trio join the fray, then relocate to the George Washington Bridge to continue the fight. Goliath tries to reason with Coldstone before they both fall into the icy water below. Coldstone saves Goliath after reflecting on the gargoyle mantra to protect, then saves him again by taking a blast meant for Goliath from Demona, and seemingly falls to his death in the river. Xanatos and Demona retreat after Elisa, Hudson, and Bronx arrive. Goliath comes to the realization that his "castle" is the whole island of Manhattan, and pronounces that the Manhattan Clan will protect all citizens of the city from then on.
In a flashback to the night before the Massacre in 994, both Demona and Othello question Goliath's desire to protect the humans and their castle after the Magus berates them. Hudson speaks the old gargoyle mantra of protecting the castle no matter what, reminding the two gargoyles of their nature and purpose.
In the present day, Goliath is bothered by his clan's idleness, and yearns to find his place in the community. He follows Elisa and Matt Bluestone on patrol to a grocery store belonging to Mr. Jaffe, an old friend of Matt's who is consistently robbed. Goliath wonders why Mr. Jaffe doesn't leave, to which Elisa explains that providing his community with food is more important to him than hiding away.
Coldstone is torn on whether he should believe Demona or Goliath. In the end, he sides with Goliath, realizing that there is more to life than just simply surviving, and a gargoyle must be a protector to be whole, something for which Demona has yet to learn.
The clan's first act as protectors of the city is ridding Mr. Jaffe of his repeat burglar by ordering the man to return the money he stole and turn himself in.
- "A gargoyle can no more stop protecting the castle than breathing the air." - Hudson
- "And you my love, I never lose sight of." - Goliath
- "We don't even live in a castle anymore." - Lexington
- "You mean the Police; your clan."
- "Right, my clan. Who will disown me if I don't get to work." - Goliath and Elisa
- "It's ALIVE! ALIVE!!...I've always wanted to say that." - Xanatos
- "Boy, that surround sound sure is great."
- "You told him these lies. I lived for my clan!"
- "And they died for you! Smashed to dust by the humans you trusted!" - Goliath and Demona
- "We have each created our own clans now, Goliath. You have yours and I have mine."
- "You have no clan; you don't know the meaning of the word!" - Demona and Goliath
- "There has been enough death. There are so few of us left, my brother." - Goliath
- "Hey, looks like we beat em' here."
- "Remind me to be fashionably late next time." - Lexington and Brooklyn
- "Gargoyles protect. It is our nature, our purpose; to lose that is to be corrupt, empty...lifeless." - Goliath
- "This Island, Manhattan; this is our castle. From this day forward, we protect all who live here, human and gargoyle alike." - Goliath
- "Are you alright? Is there anything you need?"
- "Yes, I need a detective." - Elisa and Goliath
Coldstone appears for the first time. He is introduced in an early scene as one of the last gargoyles that Goliath spoke to before the Wyvern Massacre (before chasing the Vikings as shown in "Awakening Part One").
The Magus has a cameo in the flashback sequence.
Travis Marshall and Officer Morgan have cameos in the episode, and Mr. Jaffe (who would reappear in "Eye of the Beholder" and "Protection") is introduced. Phil Travanti also appears at Times Square with Morgan and other police officers, although he has no lines of dialogue.
In a well-devised continuity link to "The Edge", Goliath continues to assume that the "red-armored Steel Clan robot" is only that, and when he addresses Xanatos, does so believing that Xanatos is at home directing the operations through a remote communications link and receiving Goliath's message through it. It is not until Xanatos removes his helmet in the battle at the George Washington Bridge that the gargoyles discover the truth.
At the end of the episode, Coldstone falls from the George Washington Bridge, apparently disabled. He resurfaces again in the episode "Legion".
"Reawakening" was originally entitled "Awakening", but that name was later on applied to the series opener instead. The final title, of course, serves as another link to "Awakening".
|<< Previous Episode: "Her Brother's Keeper"||Next Episode: "Leader of the Pack" >>|