"Outfoxed" is the twenty-seventh televised episode of the series Gargoyles, and the fourteenth episode of Season 2. It originally aired on September 28, 1995.
- Produced by: Frank Paur, Greg Weisman
- Written by: Cary Bates
- Story Edited: Cary Bates
- Produced & Directed by: Dennis Woodyard
- Animation by: Hong Ying Animation
- Backgrounds by: Hong Ying Animation
- Additional Production Facilities: N/A
Fox hires Halcyon Renard's right-hand man, Preston Vogel, to sabotage the Cyberbiotics flying airship Fortress-2 on its maiden voyage so that Fox could gain control of her father's company. Vogel reprograms the cybots that run the ship to change its heading so that it would collide with the Cyberbiotics Tower. Renard ignores Vogel's pleas to abandon the ship, and is determined to save it or die tyring. Goliath, who was captured by Renard earlier while following Fortress-2, aids him by disabling the renegade cybots. Vogel chooses to help Renard override the course of the ship at the last minute, having too much respect for the man to destroy him along with the ship
Travis Marshall interviews Vogel about the Fortress-2, who tells him about the newly patented cybots taking the place of a human crew. It is revealed that Renard had invested his entire company fortune on the ship and he would lose everything if he were to lose it as he had lost Fortress-1.
Goliath follows Fortress-2 by air, afraid that Xanatos had planned to do something to bring it down. He is taken for an enemy and captured by Renard, who believes he was created by Xanatos and Gen-U-Tech labs. Renard reminds Goliath of the damage he and Demona inflicted upon Fortress-1, and manages to persuade him to admit his wrongdoing and apologize. Goliath is released after he helps Renard defend his ship, and offers his friendship.
Xanatos is surprised by Fox's nonchalant attitude and the ruthless way she plans to take over her father's company, but she's nonplussed by his concern.
Goliath forces Vogel to confess his crime and clears his own name from blame for the sabotage of Fortress-2. Renard has become jaded with humanity after Vogel's betrayal, but Goliath reminds him that Vogel made the correct and honorable choice in the end.
Fox isn't upset that the sabotage failed, as she enjoys the game more than the end results, in this case her father's company. Fox breaks into the airship and reveals to Renard that she's pregnant, providing the first indication of Alexander Fox Xanatos.
- "O-on our tail, sir. We have a...I don't know what we have." - Vogel
- "That stings." - Goliath
- "No excuses, creature. Learn to take responsibility for your own actions, and stop whining!"
- "A gargoyle doesn't whine. He ROARS!" - Renard and Goliath
- "I am trembling in my chair." - Renard
- "It's your doctor...with test results?"
- "Didn't I mention them? I suppose it slipped my mind." - Xanatos and Fox
- "No more excuses. I accept full responsibility for my actions. I was wrong."
- "I'm glad you're gargoyle enough to admit it." - Goliath and Renard
- "Integrity is never easy. It's a daily struggle, a costly struggle. If you only knew what it cost me...my Anastasia, my Janine."
- "My Angel of the Night."
- "Well, perhaps you do know after all." - Renard and Goliath
- "I helped destroy Fortress-1. Let me help you save Fortress-2." - Goliath
- "Only living beings possess the ability to change, and make new choices. Ultimately, Vogel chose honor." - Goliath
- "A ship for a ship. We are even."
- "No. We are friends." - Renard and Goliath
- "Hello, Janine."
- "Hello Daddy. Almost got you that time, didn't I?" - Renard and Fox
- "Well, maybe you'll have better luck relating to the next generation."
- "What? What are you s..."
- "That's right, Daddy. You're going to be a grandfather." - Fox and Renard
Halcyon Renard and Preston Vogel both appear for the first time. They next appear in "Golem". Also mentioned for the first time is Renard's ex-wife Anastasia, although she does not appear until "Walkabout".
Renard mentions that Owen and Sevarius were both originally Cyberbiotics employees but were lured away by Xanatos (from what we know of Owen and Sevarius, Xanatos probably didn't have to try very hard).
Renard recognizes Goliath (and gargoyles in general) from video footage of them destroying his facilities in "Awakening: Part Four" and "Awakening: Part Five". He initially assumes that they are creatures that were created by Gen-U-Tech, perhaps in reference to the Mutates (created in "Metamorphosis") or to Thailog (who, we will learn in the episode "Double Jeopardy", has been active for some time).
In this episode we learn that Fox is pregnant with Xanatos' child. In "Eye of the Beholder", Xanatos had remarked that he and Fox were "genetically compatible". The child, Alexander Fox Xanatos will eventually be born in "The Gathering" Part One.
|<< Previous Episode: "High Noon"||Next Episode: "Revelations" >>|