Category talk:Comic Book
What is the purpose of this category? Is it only for issues of the SLG comic book, or is it also for in-universe information revealed in those issues?
If the former, I suggest that it be renamed (e.g. to "Category:SLG issues" or "Category:SLG Gargoyles issues" to differentiate from the up-coming Bad Guys series), that its explanatory paragraph be edited, and that it be made a subcat of "Category:Episodes".
If the latter, then it should be a subcat of "Category:Canon" and should also include articles like Tri Chung. Also, if it is the latter, then the mere existence of this category suggests that we are separating canonical information depending on the medium by which it was introduced, and I haven't seen evidence of that anywhere else on the wiki.
My personal opinion, considering the subpages currently contained, is that it should be the former, but before I start taking action I thought I should elicit some other opinions. -- Supermorff 07:41, 12 May 2007 (CDT)
I don't follow entirely, but I think the category is fine the way it is. I don't want to start separating canon characters and places by medium. Since the issues are already listed Gargoyles #1, Gargoyles #2, etc, we can easily include Bad Guys in this page as well, and just list them Bad Guys #1, etc. Vaevictis Asmadi 10:58, 13 May 2007 (CDT)
- I'll try and rephrase the question. The introductory paragraph for this category states that it is for "issues or events" from the SLG comic book. What does the word "events" refer to? If, as I suspect, the category is really only for "issues" and not "events", then we need to edit the paragraph to make that clear. And I suggest that the category be renamed to more accurately represent its true purpose, e.g. by calling it "Category:SLG issues", or simply "Category:Comic book issues".
- Is that clearer? (The Bad Guys comment in my first post was meant to be a throw-away remark, so sorry if that threw you off.) -- Supermorff 14:04, 13 May 2007 (CDT)
- So.. it sounds like the "and events" is left over from an original intention to build this category exactly like the Marvel Comics category. In which case, I think that phrase should go. Calling it "SLG Comic Book" might be good. I think that it could simply be distinguished as The comic book, since it is canon and the Marvel comics are not.Vaevictis Asmadi 21:31, 13 May 2007 (CDT)
Yeah, that's what I guessed too. I've removed "and events" from the paragraph. In summary, the purpose of this category is to house issues of the SLG comic book. Good. Next... -- Supermorff 09:38, 14 May 2007 (CDT)
Since, as above, the purpose of this category is only for issues of the SLG comic book, and in particular since it is not a general category in the style of Category:Marvel Comics, I suggest the category be renamed to include the word "issues" in its title. That is, it should be renamed from "Category:Comic book" to "Category:Comic book issues". I believe that a category's name should encapsulate its purpose, and I believe that this category's current name fails to do that.
To be more specific, we might also consider "Category:SLG issues" or "SLG comic book issues", but since this is the only canon comic (as Vaevictis Asmadi pointed out above) I don't think that's as necessary.
Is anyone opposed to this idea? Does anyone have a preference for a name change, or another suggestion I've overlooked? -- Supermorff 09:38, 14 May 2007 (CDT)
About the entries by Todd for each issue
I've noticed that every entry for the comics so far are written entirely by Todd Jensen, but even more than that they all have his name on them. It seems like no one else has brought this issue up, so I guess they're okay with it, but it makes it a bit difficult to add or edit anything without feeling like I may be infringing on someone's territory. Does anyone else feel this way?
Given this is the case, I thought it might be a good idea to have the commentary on a page separate from the main article (the way we have for A Bronx Tail and A Bronx Tail (review)), or better yet, just have a link to his commentary at http://www.gargoyles-fans.org/ where they can all be found verbatim (except the latest for some reason). Now, don't get me wrong, I think Todd's entries are great and fun to read, and I do agree with a lot of his commentary. But besides the fact that the entry being under his name makes it hard for anyone to contribute, this is supposed to be an encyclopedia, not a review site. That's why we have sites like The Gargoyles Fan Website in the first place. Also, the entries on this site are supposed to be a group effort, where we can all feel free to make changes and improvements as we see fit. Having entries under a name nullifies any such effort. So I'd suggest at least moving the summary parts by Todd somewhere else, or just leave a link. What do you think? --Moeen 01:03, 7 August 2007 (CDT)
- Personally, as the one who insisted on putting Todd's entries in, I say we keep them. Yeah, his summaries are just as much reviews, but they are very informative also. Todd has always had great insight into the series. As for the tidbits, people can add whatever they want there and have.
So should we add Bad Guys to this page, or give it a separate page? I originally suggested just adding it, but the issues of the first comic series are no longer titled "Gargoyles issue X: Title" -- Vaevictis Asmadi 11:49, 29 August 2007 (CDT)
- Well we could let Bad Guy's be a subcategory of the "Comic Book" category and have a description of it on it's own page. It would also simplify things if we end up with more than one spin-off series (which I hope we do). What do you think? --Moeen 20:06, 29 August 2007 (CDT)
- Your idea for making a sub-category is good. I hadn't even noticed this is a category and not an article! I was actually wondering about whether the names of the Bad Guys issues should be put in the list at the top of the Category intro. -- Vaevictis Asmadi 20:24, 29 August 2007 (CDT)
- That's probably a good idea, assuming they actually have names and aren't just "Issue One", etc. --Moeen 20:41, 29 August 2007 (CDT)
- I'm sure I've made this point before (uhh... somewhere), but I don't think we really need a list in the category intro. Not for Bad Guys, and not really for the Gargoyles issues either. There are already links to all those articles in the category (because the articles are in the category), and we've already got an ordered list at Episode Guide and at Category:Canon episodes. However, if we decide to keep the list and we also make the (quite sensible) subcategory, then we might as well just put a new list for Bad Guys issues in the Bad Guys issues category. -- Supermorff 10:01, 30 August 2007 (CDT)
- Agreed. Adding a list of Bad Guys issues on the same page with the current list here would just clutter things up. Better to put it on the same page as the subcategory. --Moeen 01:35, 31 August 2007 (CDT)